Week one of my Sabbath homework was deciding the following things:
- When would Sabbath fall into our weekly routine?
- What would be our Sabbath starting and ending rituals?
- What are nourishing activities (but not to-dos) that we could enjoy on our Sabbath?
R and I started to chat about this. Hear are preliminary thoughts.
1. Sabbath would be all day Sunday. So from bedtime Saturday (no working while asleep!) through likely the baby’s bedtime on Sunday. We’ll at least try that for now and see how it works.
2. Starting ritual would be lighting candles and a short meditation after the baby goes to bed on Saturday. Maybe a declaring of intentions? Or some sort of blessing could be nice. Sometimes we have post-baby dinner dates but we often don’t like to eat that late so I’m not sure we’d want to do that weekly.
3. Nourishing activities would include:
- Having friends over
- Eating delicious food (but not intensively making it…so making something in advance or doing prep in advance?) or just getting take-out?
- Both of us playing with the baby at once, instead of one of us playing and one of us doing errands
- Napping while the baby naps
- Long showers
- Taking a break from screens
- Taking a break from errands
We found a cool sort of online course where you practice Sabbath for 7 weeks and focus on something different each week. So these are our guidelines for week 1. We’ll see how the next few weeks go!