I’ve been thinking a lot recently about rituals. In November, MG will start daycare and R and I will go back to the office full-time. So, even though she won’t remember them long-term, it seems like a good opportunity to start with some family rituals.
You can have daily rituals like…
- a few, on-rotation afterschool snacks
- saying what you are grateful for at the dinner table
- taking a shower and changing into pajamas after school (instead of before bed). We did this a lot when I was a kid and it was soooo cozy.
Or monthly rituals like:
- cake for breakfast on the first day of every month
Or yearly rituals like:
- a birthday experience (instead of presents)
- pumpkin carving
- opening one Christmas present on Christmas eve
Or seasonal rituals like:
- late night summer grocery store runs;
- going to the library on a rainy day and then spending the day snuggled up at home
- watching Moonstruck between Christmas and New Year’s